Search This Blog

Friday, December 11, 2015

Hexie Quilt

 
Large Hexagon Quilt!
 
My tips on how to do a hexie quilt.
I lay the hexies out on a bed sheet so I can organize the whole thing. Then I can roll it up in between sewing sessions. That way I don't have to rearrange every time I get it out.
Sew together first in rows, then sew the columns together. Those pesky Y seams aren't so bad when the blocks are big.
 
I sew them together slightly differently than the tutorials I've seen. I sew all the way across the side when sewing the columns together. No back stitch or stopping 1/4" away from the corners. Then, when I'm sewing the Y seams, I leave my needle down in at the corner and just pull the next two sides flat and then sew. I find I don't need to draw dots. I can stop at the seam and eyeball where the 1/4" seam allowance would be. It works so much better for me.
 
 
 


 
Pretty machine quilting done on my juki TL2000

 

1 comment:

Annette said...

LOVE these colors, love it!