Search This Blog

Thursday, May 23, 2019

Grizzly Mountain Quilt by square in a square/ jodi barrows

It took a couple of years, but my Grizzly Mountain quilt is finally done!
Love love love the colors...

and all the little triangles...
Theres over 900 red and white half square triangles in here. that's not counting the triangles around the stars!

How do you make that many HST's?
Here's how to make alot of half square triangles.
This isn't the best tutorial but i can't find all my pics.
Take your two fabrics and lay them right sides together.
Draw lines in a grid. Sew 1/4" down both sides of the lines
(Don't draw the diagonal line you see on this fabric. oops)
How to Calculate making 4 half square triangles from 1 square.
DIVIDE the UNfinished size you need by .63
For example: if I want a 3" hst, (2 1/2 finished size), that would be 3/ .63 = 4.76. So the lines would be 4 3/4" apart.

 
Then you'll cut the squares apart in an hourglass pattern.
Be very careful as you cut, cut right on the point where the lines intersect or they'll come out all crookedy.

When you open them, you'll have lots of half square triangles.
They don't always come out perfect, you may have to do some squaring up.





I used my sashiko 2 machine to quilt this!
I love the hand stitched look. you can see them on the red triangles. I wouldn't do that much again with that machine, that was a bit over the top. It took sooooo long....
and looked just as good machine quilted as hand stitched.




2 comments:

Julie Fisher said...

nice quilt!

Anonymous said...

I cannot thank Mr Benjamin service enough and letting people know how grateful I am for all the assistance that you and your team staff have provided and I look forward to recommending friends and family should they need financial advice or assistance @ 1,9% Rate for Business Loan .Via Contact : .  247officedept@gmail.com. WhatsApp...+ 19893943740. Keep up the great work.
Thanks, Busarakham.